Monday, February 15, 2010

Kids Pray the Darndest Things

On Saturday, we had memorial services for a member of our church who passed away. As members of the praise and worship team, my husband and I were participants in the service. We arrived to practice and had no sooner taken our jackets off when I saw Lorin bump her head hard on a chair. In fact, it was on the metallic loop that sticks out underneath in the event it would latch up to another chair.

It took her a second to start crying, but I saw how hard she hit it and I knew that it was going to hurt, so I picked her right up. When she did start crying, blood began just gushing out of her forehead. At first, I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, I thought maybe her nose. I took her to the bathroom to get towels to put pressure on it, and it kept bleeding and bleeding. I thought we would need to go to the ER for stitches, so I returned to the sanctuary to beckon for Dapo.

In the midst of the excitement, I forgot that there was a casket with a dead body that people were trying to pay their respects to. I sincerely felt...well, mortified. But I kicked into Mama Bear mode and it was only once the bleeding stopped I was able to begin to apologize for the drama.

Thankfully, my friend and nurse extraordinaire was there and saw the blood running down Lorin's face. She came to look at her and helped me get some steri strips and bandaged her up, saving us a trip to get stitches. She even took Jimi so that Dapo could get back to practice. AND she watched the kids during the service. Thank God for good friends. The church staff was awesome, too, helping me to get what I needed for Lorin and helping me to calm down and praying for her.

Since then, I have been reminding Jimi not to touch Sissy's head, because she has an owie on it. This morning when I prompted him with the reminder, he took his hand and placed it gently on her back, saying, "I'll pray for her." He continued, "In Jesus' name, I pray...owie, get better! In Jesus' name, Aaaaaa-men."

It was so sweet I almost cried. It was a big, warm fuzzy moment for sure. Just when you get tired of telling them not to fight over a toy, they go and pray for each other.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just checking in to see your blog and found the incident regarding Lorin. So happy it wasn't something more serious. BTW every time I see a photo of her I find myself asking, "Who is she?" She is surely headed for a remarkable destiny. I was totally disarmed by Jimi's prayer for her. How wonderful is your life? Pretty wonderful. Your friend in Utah. Linda