Friday, August 15, 2008

Drumming up business

A friend of mine from church who has 3 young kids is constantly inviting me to do things. I usually have legitimate reasons why I can't do one thing or the other, and turn her down. She called me one day last week and invites me to a Southern Living party. I had never heard of it, but it is basically like a Pampered Chef thing only with interior decor.

I had not left the house in a couple of days, so I agreed to go. I really don't dig these types of parties, but hey it was a mommy's night out. My friend, LB, is an L&D RN who teaches childbirth classes. Evidently she kept in touch with one of her really fun groups and they all still get together at various times of the week. There were several of them there, most of whom had their children around the same time Jimi was born. One such lady has a nephew who is looking to take drum lessons, and LB thought I should do it. The kid aspires to make All-State drum line, so I politely told her that there are others in the area who could do a better job for them.

In the process of that, a friend of hers overhears us and with a great deal of jubilee insists that I teach her the drums. I really was hesitant at first, simply because of my afore-mentioned lack of professional experience. I agreed to teach her what I know and she starts lessons on Thursday.

Two days later, someone at church came up to Dapo, asking him if he gives piano lessons. He decided it would be worth his time if he did, and his first student had her first lesson yesterday. So I guess you could say we have a little international music academy going on here.

It is sure to make me a better drummer, though, since I'll have to prepare and practice more than my student!

1 comment:

Heasleye said...

Hey, that's great! Good for both of you!