Saturday, August 2, 2008

A tax-free weekend, sorta

Here in Alabama they do a sales tax-free weekend right before school starts so that hordes of people flock to the mall and create mayhem and madness. It sounds like a fun thing, except it is only on school supplies, clothes, shoes and computers. You know, back to school stuff.

Well, we didn't get to participate in the no tax extravaganza, but we did take advantage of a big year-end sale Sears was having on their lawnmowers and got Dapo a riding mower. It was taking him close to three hours to cut our yard. He does such a nice job, but he's a busy man and we really needed to make his life easier.

Also this week our already-cracked glass cooktop cracked all the way up into the heating element, which means its time for a new stove. Just to replace the glass was $525, and a new oven was $1300 or so. Since replacing the glass would have been like paying $10k for a windshield on a $20k car; I got a really nice oven, complete with lock-out options for both the cooktop and the oven. Sorry, Jimi! It's convection and has a lot of nice features that I will probably never use.

While we were at it, we also got a freezer. Since our family is at the moment literally expanding we thought it would be good to get a place to store bulk meat, lots of apple juice cans, lots of frozen veggies, etc, etc. I figured that we go through $20 a month in apple juice because we buy it by the plastic gallons. I'm pretty sure I can cut that in half by buying the cans. I'd like to be a recycler, but my sorry excuse is that our area of the county is not offered curbside pick up. I can make myself feel better about that with my new plan of "reduce": not using so many plastic jugs that I don't recycle. I also plan to breast feed the baby and am hopeful that I can produce enough mlik to store in the freezer as well. The freezer also has a digital lock-out and temp control on the outside.

There were cash rebates, no payments no interest and extra %'s off of everything we bought, so it was a good weekend to buy. Everything will be delivered later this month (starting with the lawnmower on Wednesday) and when I get pix I'll post them.

4 comments:

Heasleye said...

Sounds like quite the haul! Jimi will be driving that lawn mower in no time! :)

...a public service announcement from your local English major - In your About section, "We are the Eso's" should be "We are the Esos". It might look odd, but with the apostrophe, you're possessing something, and then not telling us what that something is. :) End of PSA...

Feel free to delete this comment if I just crossed the line!

Suzers said...

Do you think Dapo would take me for a ride on the lawnmower! ha ha !

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

So exciting! I love getting new stuff! :) I wish they had a tax free weekend here in Utah.

Eso said...

Yeah, yeah, all true, but remember the exception to that rule is if your last name ends with a "z" or an "s". Since I have a large family with z's on the end of their name, they send packages and letters and cards addressed to Dapo and Kari Esos if I don't put the apostrophe there. I really have an aversion to my name being spelled wrong, even if it's with good intentions. Besides, it's my way of staying one of the Zintz's. :0)