Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Stinging Zinger

I mentioned a long time ago that I am playing softball. Our team has been absolutely terrible, winning only one game in the entire season. I had fun, but of course having fun losing is not as fun as having fun winning. At least we were consistent!

Yesterday marked our final "tournament" game. Yes, we got to play in the loser's bracket! We won our first, got beaten badly the second and put up a good fight but still lost the third. Double elimination means "see you next year".

I just have to say that I had my best hit all year last night. In slowpitch co-ed the outfield creeps up on the girls, because we don't hit as hard, right? I got a good pitch and gave it a ride courtesy of my DeMarini Distance bat. The center fielder was running backwards to try to catch it and it still went over his head! I was running for two, or else I would have had a double. Even more exciting than hitting it over the guys' heads is my first base coach says, "she's pregnant, too, so that oughtta add a little sting to it".

He had the last laugh, because they won the game.

I was feeling a little disappointed because I am just starting to get to the point where I am conditioned (I didn't say in shape, just conditioned). Now, the season is over and I'd have to start right back at square one in a year, after the baby. Not to mention having to find an alternate source of exercise. Plus, the fact that we are just starting to get team chemistry.

The good news is that our team, minus the two best players who are sick of losing, is going to play fall ball. Fall ball is actually my favorite season of softball. I get to play my favorite sport when the weather is nice and cool. If there were a winter ball, I honestly think I'd play it. Spring ball is fun until it gets hot. Anyhow, it looks like we're going for a repeat!

At least if we set goals to exceed this season's wins, we won't have to aim "two" high.

4 comments:

suzers said...

Come back to Harmony and Play! We miss you... 1...2...3....

Eso said...

3 up!

Suzers said...

3 down!

The Dodgers said...

Kari, what in the world??? And I better see my name on your fam and friends list!