Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Do Not Call List

Have you heard that a company (I think Google, but can't remember) is working on a type of software that will prevent you from late-night, drunken stupor email rants to your boss, friends and otherwise? Evidently before it will send your email, it will ask a series of questions that sober people can answer. They are mathematical in nature. I don't have a problem with drunken stupors, but I do get to ranting. I'm good at math, though, so I'm not sure if the software will help me.

If you read my earlier post, you know that I'm "in a mood". No, not THE mood. A mood. I had to preface what I'm about to blog with that.

It is 8:05 and the phone rings. "Do not be alarmed!" Okay, I'm not. The voice continues, "your mortgage interest rate offer is about to expire. This is your final warning." Jerks. I am in the middle of homework, and I have probably one of the best interest rates I could ever get in this century, so LEAVE ME ALONE. I can't tell them to take me off their list because its automated. AND I'M ON THE DO NOT CALL LIST.

No joke, 8:10 the phone rings. We get calls all the time for Sherry and for the previous owners of the house (a special thanks to Bellsouth for just giving us the existing number but charging a $75 "connection" fee). The gentleman on the other end says hello Sherry! I said no, this is Kari. Oh, well how are you doing tonight ma'am? It is 8:10 what can I help you with? Well, I'm calling on behalf of battered women or police officers or firemen or homeless vets or whatever it was he said. Can we count on your support again this year?? Well, since you are calling for SHERRY and I'm KARI then it should be obvious you never had my support. You may not count on my support this year, or ever, and I'm requesting you remove me from your list!!

I'm not calloused, I just get a lot of these bunk phone calls. They are scams. They always thank me for my support last year. When I tell them I just moved to Alabama, and there wasn't a last year, they hang up on me. When I tell them I'm not the person they called for they just read their script anyhow. Hey I feel for them, I was a telemarketer for 4 hours once. I hated every minute of it, and didn't even bother to call them back and quit.

I just wonder how, if I am on the Do Not Call list, I am getting these calls. They are the only two types of calls I ever get of a telemarketing nature. So how are they slipping through the cracks of this law?

Anyone have any ideas? Please don't say "write your Congressman". I did about the bailout and got a reply explaining why he was forced to vote for it. Hogwash. Phooey!

No comments: