Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Drats

Today was my however-manyeth visit to the OB. Dapo met us there again and Jimi went along, too. Much to my chagrin, I have gained 10 pounds. Not to be confused with the entire pregnancy, I mean just since my last visit four weeks ago. Yikes. And then my blood pressure was 146/80. Ugh. Thankfully I didn't do the blood glucose test today, because things were not going well.

I don't know if I have blogged about it, but I am sincerely concerned about the size of the baby. It seems that she got heavy around the 4th month, and Jimi didn't get heavy until the 7th. I know there's the whole "been there done that" attitude my body has, but that seems a little extreme. Anyhow, I made Dr. Rushing promise that if I couldn't get my head around this fear that he would order an ultrasound to see how big the baby is (or, isn't, hopefully).

When the nurse tried to get the baby's heart rate, the baby started kicking like crazy! Has this ever happened to anyone? Does anyone know why? I knew she was up, because she was moving a bit while we were waiting. But once they put the little microphone thing up to my belly, she started kicking me. Everyone seemed to be amused by it, except for the baby, and me. Nothing was very amusing today.

Dr. Rushing felt my ankles and said probably part of the 10 lbs is water weight, but then said asked if I was watching what I was eating. I said "no," and he said, "it may be time to start." He then said "are you exercising?" and I said, "no," to which he replied, "it may be time to start." In retrospect, I wonder if chasing Jimi all day counts. On second thought, if it counted, I wouldn't have gained 10 lbs.

He told me to start walking and to watch what I eat. He did it in such a light-hearted fashion that I really shouldn't take it so hard, but I'm mad at myself. I don't have a problem eating too much, I'm just eating the wrong things. With Jimi it was so easy because I actually had aversions to both junk and fast foods. This baby is SO different!!

Thursday starts my final trimester and I am glad about it. Maybe some exercise will help me get motivated to do the baby's room before the baby actually arrives!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my ob was the weight Nazi... seriously... I would gain 3 or 4 lbs and she would start freaking out and tell me to lay off all carbs and sugar (she said that is what was making the baby so big)... I laid off carbs and sugar... I think Ryken was going to be big regardless... all 22 inches of him a week and a half early...