Friday, November 21, 2008

Close Call

Today Jimi woke up with a great deal of congestion and mucous across his beautiful face. He's been fighting off a cold for awhile now. I'd say it's been at least a week that he's had a fever on and off again. This morning was the first time I'd heard him cough, and he woke up with a fever of 101.5. So, I decided enough was enough and after checking with Dapo we made a doctor's appointment for him.

His appointment was at 10:10, and it takes about 20 min to get there, so I left here about 9:45. The road you take to get into town is a two-way road, one lane each direction. It is that way for all 8 miles. The speed limit is 45 until you get closer to town, where it goes down to 40. Usually at that time of day there is not any traffic. I was not on the phone, or speeding, or talking or anything.

All of a sudden, I realized I was about to rear end a string of 10 or more cars stopped. I slammed on my breaks and after a second or two could tell I wasn't going to make it in time. I was actually skidding and felt the back of the car start to fishtale. I let off the brakes and turned into the skid, and gassed it. I wound up running off of the road, into and out of a ditch, and coming to a stop near a green belt.

It took me a minute to realize what had just happened, and why I was parked off in the country side. I checked Jimi out and he was okay. I felt okay, but was really shaken up by the experience. Hormones + Adrenaline = Bad Combo. I took a few minutes to compose myself before getting back on the road and continuing to the Dr. office. I called Dapo once I got there and started crying. He told me he'd be right there. He came and comforted me. He is so good at making me feel better.

I was just shook up, mostly because of the feeling of knowing I was going to slam into all of those cars with my two babies in the car. I called my OB to see if they wanted to see me even though I didn't make impact with anything (just some off roading experience). They asked me to come down and just get checked out. Her heartbeat was fine, and they hooked me up to a fetal monitoring machine just to make sure that I wasn't contracting. I had a couple of little ones, but nothing of concern. They sent me home with orders for rest and water.

I am so thankful that Jimi is ok, and that my unborn baby is ok, and that I am ok. Dapo's entire family was in the car today. Everything with us is fine, but today reminded me how precious every moment is and how quickly it can all turn. I am thankful for the angels which were encamped around about me to protect us from any harm or danger.

Thanks be to God, who always gives us the victory!

3 comments:

Heasleye said...

Yikes! That would get your blood pumping! So glad all is well.

Anonymous said...

dang girl! You should be a driver for the FBI.. If it were me I would have rolled the car into the ditch... you have mad skills!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

How scary!! I'm so glad that everyone is okay. I would be freaking out!