Sunday, July 27, 2008

Window Seat

Dad and Dapo bring in one of the boxes for the window seat
The ensuing head scratching
Buried alive...
The unfinished box during the party

Mom starts to stain
Mom starts to put the foam padding on
Finished product
View of living room looking into the sun room
From the sun room looking to living room...see the screen

Jimi seems to like the bench
Hey, I can reach the pictures now!
Wee! Playing with pillows
Finally, playing with his toys in front of the window seat


One of the things we did while my parents were here is build a window seat. Our sun room doesn't ever get used and I wanted to utilize the space. I was also tired of looking at florescent red, orange, green and blue toys in my living room. Since the double-sided fireplace's second side is in the sun room, I hoped that I could make the area into reading area as well. I also envisioned myself laying on the window seat watching Jimi play with his toys in his new play area.

So I thought up the idea of building a window seat in the sun room that could lift up into a storage/toy box. My Dad spent a great deal of time coming up with a cut list and detailed design plan for the box. We all went to Home Depot together to pick out the wood. Dapo got a saw out of the deal, and he and Dad built the window seat to my custom order in the 90 degree Alabama sun!

Mom and I opted for the air conditioning of various stores and the house. The boxes came inside in time for extra seating for Jimi's party, but didn't get the seat and pillows put on until the next week. I did test to see that a 5'4" person could fit inside of the box, and my Dad proved that a 200 lb man could sit on them at the same time. It freaked me out a little, you can see in the picture Mom took as I was released!

Mom and I went to Hancock fabric to pick out the foam and fabric. We went to Home Depot for the cherry wood stain. And another trip to Pier One for a couple of pillows. We couldn't leave Pier One without my plantation-style shutter screen I've had my eye on for over a year. It barely fit in the CRV, but we got it home.

I am posting pix so you all can admire the masterful engineering of my Dad and Dapo and our "fabulous" staple gun, stain and decorating job (right, Mom?). Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, yes it is comfortable, practical and beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! I just showed Brandon and made him promise to make me one some day... perfect for hiding toys!

Heasleye said...

Bravo, Kari! Well done! I do appreciate a piece that's beautiful and functional! :)