Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Outlaws of Huntsville

Yesterday was our first softball game. I dislike our name almost as much as our disgusting Safety Orange uni's. But I guess if you're an outlaw, you must look like you've come from the Correctional Facility.

In my usual fashion I annoyed everyone but myself with cheering, jeering and feather kicking.
Yes, there was a dead bird in Right field. I normally play infield but in light of my baby carrying status, I've opted for a less exciting position...where the dead fowl are stored. I about threw up because even though the majority of the body was removed, there was still a disgusting stench and a mound of feathers. The most perturbing part is that the remains were stationed right where the fielder should stand in order to have the best positioning. So avoidance wasn't an option.

I'm sorry I forgot my camera, I would love to show you my tax dollars hard at work with the dual use facility of softball field/pet cemetary.

We lost, 12-14, but it was a good game. We lead for a couple of innings, before our defense unrattled and our confidence was shaken. We staged a comeback but ran out of time at the end. I even missed a ball, because of poor judgment. It was one of those 'tweeners that you can't decide whether to charge or to let it one hop to you. I decided too late to charge, it bounced at my feet. Sucks. Anyhow, I went 1-1 with 3 walks. I had a beaut to the gap in center field. I scored twice from first base. Yeah, those of you that have seen me play/run, you know what a feat this is! The third base coach sent me and I said, "are you sure, I'm running out of gas?!" He was sure, I scored and now my quads are sore!

It was great to have Dapo and Jimi there to cheer me on. I love doing these types of things as a family. I never thought I'd love being a wife and mother. Funny how life changes you.

Oh, I should mention that my Mizuno cleats that I have had for asd;flkjas;d years finally blew up on me. It is worth noting these are the ONLY pair of cleats I've EVER had, and I started playing pre-teens. I can't believe my foot never grew but it didn't. Also kudos to Mizuno for making such a durable shoe. I was batting in a scrimmage (thankfully not a game) and I hit and turned to run to first when the entire bottom of the cleat stayed in the ground and the entire top of the shoe stayed on my foot. It was really kind of amusing. So, I went and bought a new pair of cleats. Of course, I had to buy another pair of Mizuno. If they are going to last for decade(s?) then they have my business!

Our next "showdown" is tomorrow at 8, so Dapo and Jimi will stay home. I will try to remember to take my camera and get some pix.

No comments: