Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lamentations

Dapo and Jimi on our balcony

Big Man on Campus

The view down below...16 floors below

The Potomac River from where our elevator was

I think this blog needs to start from Friday. I was getting ready to pack and something said, "hmm, I wonder how many bags we can check." I had read about United changing their luggage policy to charge for each bag after the first. So, I got on US Airways website to see what their policy was. Of course, we have the stroller, and Dapo's luggage, and mine, and Jimi's food, clothes, juice, formula for the week. We wanted to also take the carseat, and rent a car. So that'd be 3 bags, plus the carseat, and the stroller, and possibly the pack 'n play. The website was ambigious regarding lap children, so I had to call customer service, and wait on hold for an answer.

Meanwhile, I have called the shuttle service on my other phone to see if they carry carseats, in case we decided against bringing ours. They don't because it's not a law, although it is strongly encouraged. It is, however, a law for an adult to wear their seatbelt. Just so you know. Yeah, that's in Washington, DC, where they make the laws.

When I finally got through, a lady with an accent so thick I could not understand her came on. I don't say these things lightly. I listen to a foreign accent every day, and have lots of foreign family that I have to listen to in order to hear what they are saying. This lady must have been outsourced. She kept using confusing words like "negative". Does negative mean, no, you can't do that and you must pay? Or does it mean, negative, you will not have to pay? So, the long and short of it is I can check ONE or the other: car seat or stroller. I have to check one or the other in, which will undoubtedly put me over the limit. And, no bag for him. You get one bag a piece, per paying customer. The third bag is $25 EACH WAY and the fourth is $100 each way. The pack 'n play is the first to go off the list. I have a big suitcase I can cram a lot of less-than-fifty-pounds-worth of belongings into. Dapo has a garment bag that he carried on with his clothes, and then Jimi and I shared a second bag.

It required some ingenuity and a call to the hotel to rent a crib, but we managed. We decided against the rental car, which would have been $10/day to rent a carseat, $20/day plus tax and fees to rent the car, $25/day to park plus $4/gallon gas.

As for the trip: I knew we were in for a bumpy ride when I got sidelined at security to check my diaper bag. After pulling out jars of baby food, diapers, diaper wipes, teething tablets and spare clothes, the TSA agent decided we were clear for take off. I really can't believe this is what we do with our tax dollars! So, not to worry, we had plenty of time to spare.

Once we boarded the plane, Dapo had Jimi and somehow my sport-top water bottle made it onto my seat, and I sat down unaware. Water exploded in the air, went all over my seat (both of 'em) and dripped down onto the gentleman's leg behind me. I apologized profusely, grabbed some towels and sat down. Jimi normally travels well, but this time he is much more aware of his surroundings, and wants to explore it all...instead of taking his nap!

So, after grunting, screaming, whining and biting (!) his way through the first half of the trip I was able to bob and weave him down to sleep. Just as the rest of the plane breathed a collective SIGH (it was a small plane, only 15 rows, four seats each) the captain DING!ed the intercom and woke him up. It was a short nap, bu he seemed invigorated. Of course he was, he's 11months.

We stopped at the "family bathroom". Mothers, you know this one...these are the greatest thing ever invented. Family restrooms are to moms as Diasabled parking is to the handicapped. Thanks to whichever congressman brought this one about! Anyhow, we waited a good 5-10 minutes before this woman - with NO infant - comes dragging out. C'mon people! Be courteous. I digress. I had to use the restroom and so Dapo agreed to change Jimi at the same time. It's a great little arrangement. I had just wrapped up business when FFFFSSSHSHSHSHS, aka, the noise flying urine makes when it splatters on tile floor, was heard. He didn't shoot the sheriff but he did shoot the Daddy! Dapo had urine on his shorts, socks, leg (ew) and Jimi likewise. So after a spell of cleaning them both up, we headed towards baggage claim, and could not find our bags because we had been delayed so long in the bathroom. Dapo finally found them sitting on a non-moving carasel.

Next we called a shuttle, the one recommended by the Gaylord. The person on the phone gave Dapo a confirmation number and when we asked where to wait, gave us specific instructions. We followed them and then the shuttle pulls up after 15 or so min. He says he isn't going to the Gaylord, and have we gone inside. (uh, yeah, it's an airport, that's where we just came from). Evidently there was a kiosk we were supposed to have paid at and gotten a pickup number. Why the guy on the phone couldn't have shared that information is beyond me. So we go back inside, get our number, and wait another 1/2 hr for the next shuttle. We buckle in and hold on.

All this turns out to not be a problem, as when we arrived at the hotel at their published check-in time of 3pm, our room was not ready. Unless, of course, I wanted to take a room with two queen beds. Uh, no. They will call Dapo's cell when the room is ready. So, no biggie, we decide to go get something to eat, this hotel is huge after all. We get to the restaurant that the gal at the front desk recommended, which closed at 230. Ok, I suppose I should have mentioned we would go get something to eat now. As it turns out when we got to the restuarant that the host at the restaurant that was closed recommended, there was a 15 minute wait. I sent Dapo to go register for the conference and informed him I'd text him when the table was ready. Well, guess what? No reception! Brother...the only place I've ever found that I don't get reception.

It wasn't long before Dapo showed up, we ordered and life was good. Throughout the meal, I keep asking Dapo if the front desk has called yet. He kept replying no, and then it occurs to me...that we have the same coverage, so he wasn't getting reception, either! We walked to the front desk, and our room was ready. The walk wasn't too far thankfully, and the bellhop had delivered our bags. But, the crib that I paid $25 to rent wasn't in room as promised. A call to hospitality fixed that up. Then, I noticed our in-room refridgerator wasn't here, either. Called the same guy in hospitality, and he explains that it is in the dresser. Of course it is. Why didn't I think of that? There is also a safe, for all of my jewels and diamonds. Thankfully, the crib came a few minutes later, so Jimi won't have to sleep in the drawers.

Our room overlooks the atrium from 16 floors up. It's a really cool concept, especially since you can see the National Harbor of the Potomac from here. It kinda all goes down a notch when you try to sleep and you realize that it feels like you have rented an air-conditioned tent at the county fair, with carnival rides, hooting, hollering and music going non-stop.

On the upside, this is a gorgeous hotel. I don't think I've stayed in a hotel with crown molding in the rooms before. And $17 for a salad is a luxury you just don't get everyday! I wonder how the little old lady with the walker across the way is affording it? I'd better go before my lettuce starts to taste like the $2 /bag variety!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha! Isnt traveling with kids fun! Everything takes two times longer. It sounds as though you had fun though.