Thursday, December 4, 2008

Glucose Schmucose

At my OB visit on Tuesday, I got the lab slip for the 3 hr glucose test. This was because I tested high the previous week when I went in for the normal screening. So, Dapo had to take off of work to entertain Jimi while I had the test. I showed up at 7:45 or so, after a night of fasting. They drew my blood, and then gave me 10 ounces of a "delicious" orange glucose drink. Really, the drink wasn't terribly horrible, but it was like a very syrupy version of Orange Crush without the carbonation. The hematologist had chilled it, so it went down a little easier.

I went back every hour for three hours to have my blood drawn at exactly an hour past the last draw. It took me about 10 min to drink the drink, so my draws were at 745, 855, 955 and 1055.

I was napping this afternoon when the phone woke me up. It was the RN from my OB's office informing me that I did not pass the 3 hr glucose tolerance test that I took yesterday morning. Uh-oh. The first draw on fast at 745 should have been between 65-94, and it was 108. After the drink the second draw should have been under 180, and was 228. The third draw should have been under 155 and was at 222. The final draw, should have been under 140 and was 114. So I failed on 3 of 4 draws. I guess the good news is that I did eventually wind up where I should have been, but not soon enough.

The gal at the lab kept asking me how I was feeling, and I was groggy and tired and hungry...normal pregnancy stuff. Anyhow, the nurse said that if I have been feeling tired, sleepy and weak that monitoring my diet and blood sugar will most likely help with that. That is good news, because this baby has been kicking my butt!

Tomorrow I have to go to the local Diabetes Control Center to go through a 3 to 4-hr class at 730, and children are not invited. This means Dapo gets to take more time off of work. I guess it is a necessity, so what can you say?

No comments: