Monday, December 1, 2008

O Christmas Tree

Yes, we finally are finished with decorating the house for Christmas! I am happy to say my husband put all the American neighbors to shame by being the first one with lights. In Nigeria, they do not decorate the outside of houses and yards like we do.

When we were newlywed in Utah, we did not get a tree. That year, we did not see our families, either, after both his mom and my parents spent Thanksgiving in our student housing apartment (or, cell block, as I referred to it). I mentioned to him that I was kind of sad about it, not having family around and not having decorations up. He didn't realize how much it meant to me. It just doesn't seem like Christmas to me without them. Since then, he has gone to great measures to make sure the lights get up on Black Friday, and the tree gets up on Saturday.

Jimi has been absolutely adorable helping Daddy with the lights, and helping Mommy with the tree. Once the tree was up and the lights were on, he kept staring at it in awe. I now understand why those traditions got ingrained in me so much growing up. The wonderment on his face as he beheld a lit-up tree made it worth all of the trouble. I hope we have started our own tradition that he will one day share with his family.

If you remember the Harvest Fest post, Jimi was enamored with the balloons at the party. As I was decorating the tree, putting on the bulbs, Jimi kept pointing at the bulbs and saying "bahloo". I said, as I usually do to his jibberish,"uh-huh, that's right". He kept on pointing, and saying, "bahloo, bahloo" until I said to Dapo, he is trying to tell me something and I don't know what. It finally dawned on me...BALLOON. He thought the bulbs were balloons, what a smart boy! I told him they were bulbs, but "bahloo" is what they are to him. He of course wants to touch them because 1) they are shiny, 2) he is curious 3) they look like bahloos. He has done a good job of just poking at them. I would hate to have one break and hurt him.

I did remember to grab the camera, and hope you enjoy my pix of Christmas in the making!

Both of my guys with their identical grumpy faces


Both of my guys with their identical smiling faces


Jimi with his ball


Dapo hanging lights


Jimi wanted to play in the landscaping, since he couldn't climb the ladder


Jimi poses for the camera


Jimi's abominable snowman impersonation


Jimi on another union break...doing snow angels without the snow


Jimi takes time to ponder the meaning of life


Dapo admires his handiwork


Sipping on some cocoa


Jimi shows me there's a tree in the living room!


Jimi is climbing the ladder, or at least trying to


Jimi wants to try this Christmas decorating thing out


Looks more like he's ready for Mardi Gras instead


Jimi points out to me all of the "Bahloos" he sees


I am trying to decorate faster than Jimi can take them off


Jimi is filled with wonder


Are you sure I can't take 'em off?


Dapo found a real "bahloo" for Jimi


Putting the bow on top


Ta da


All done!

No comments: