Friday, December 12, 2008

More Words

On Wednesday I went to the Huntsville Hospital's Diabetes Center for Diabetes Education (for gestational diabetes). It was very informational and I received a meal plan tailored to my age, weight/height, activity level, usual eating habits, and weeks of gestation.

I know it sounds silly, but I actually wish that I could have known about this program sooner...because although the first couple of days last week were hard to adjust to, I feel so much better on the meal pattern. One thing I learned is that fruit is taboo for the diabetic's breakfast meal. Also, I had no clue that protein helps keep your blood sugar down, and slows the digestion of carbohydrates. So every time I have a carb, I have to couple it with a protein. Like salt and pepper.

Also, peas and corn don't count as veggies, they are starches. Who knew? I guess that's why they are my favorite vegetables, eh? I also never thought of fruit as a carbohydrate...because there's no flour involved.

Anyhow, I am having 14 servings of carbs a day (i.e. slice of toast, 1/3 c rice, 1/2 c mash taters, 1/2 c peas, 1/2 hot dog bun, etc.). Then, I am having 12 ounces of meat/protein a day. That is the only thing I am required to count. I have been counting calories, though, because they suggested 2100/day for me. The two days I have been logging I have come up over by about 200 calories both days. At first I thought 2100 would be hard to hit but then I saw that it is pretty easy!

A friend of mine from church who only works a couple of days a week watched Jimi that morning, because it was a 3 1/2 hr class, and children are not invited. She also teaches Jimi's Sunday School class, so he is very familiar with her. Laura Beth is an avid baby-signer with her toddler daughter. The next day, I saw Jimi do the sign for thank you. He also said "tsa ku" while he did it. I knew this meant Thank you! I would not have known what he was saying, had he not done the sign with it. So, now I can recognize another of his words!

I rode that momentum into breakfast where I asked him if he could say juice and he replied, "JU". Wow. When he dropped his sippy cup, I said "Uh-oh", and he jabbered back, "Ah O". What else have I missed? Had it not been for a 1/2 day at Laura Beth's house in the world of baby signs, I might not have recognized Jimi's words. Thanks, Laura Beth!

No comments: