Friday, December 5, 2008

No more juice?!

Well, today I went in to the DCC for my three hour educational class I'm supposed to take. During this class I will receive a diet to follow for the duration of my pregnancy. However, when I arrived for my appointment, the nurse seeing me asked, "Do you know why they wanted you to come today before the class?" I asked, "Isn't today the class?"

Evidently they stopped offering the class on Fridays over a year ago and the nurse at my OB's office didn't get the memo. Dapo has already taken off two hours twice this week, and since two of his projects have been made priority, he can't really take off any more time. Thankfully, a friend from church can watch Jimi next Wednesday, when the class really is.

The nurse at the center did take the time to go over the preliminary documentation such as what have I been eating, who does the cooking, have I had any children over 8 lbs?, etc. She also gave me a glucometer and test strips to begin taking my blood sugar. And, then she said, "I also want you to stop drinking juice". My dad is a Type II Diabetic, so I know that drinking a glass of apple juice is the equivalent of eating 8 apples, but what is the harm in eating 8 apples?!

Then, we took my blood sugar, which was high at 184. I purposely had the worst breakfast I could think of, so that I would see my blood sugar at its worst. That will probably be the last time I see it that high, as I need to be eating 3 snacks a day in addition to my 3 meals a day. That's not a problem, but it sounds like a lot of making meals and standing on my feet.

I'll be pricking my finger and taking my blood sugar 4x a day, beginning today.

No comments: